A monument to Ukrainian nationalists
was erected on the grounds of the Jewish cemetery, on
the outskirts of town.
The names of five individuals, who died for the nationalist
cause, are inscribed on the memorial.
By way of introduction, during and after the Second World
War, Tovste was a hotbed of Ukrainian nationalist resistance,
with a well-organised and disciplined youth cell of the Ukrainian
Nationalists Organisation (UNO). The local underground organisation
was formed in February 1940 and, after an interruption during
the war, it restored its activities in December 1944 to resist
the Stalinist regime.
From the second half of 1948 to May 1951 an underground publishing
house was operating in Tovste village, in Holovna Str. (now
Chumatska Str.), where the Motychko family lived. One daughter,
Orysya Motychko, was working at both the state publishing
house and at the underground operation run out of her father’s
house. The underground publishing house printed leaflets and
magazines addressing the populace, such as: “How
Stalin authorities murder Ukrainian collective-farmers”,
“For Independence”, “Underground
Word” etc. It was headed by Myroslav Guk, Vasyl
Melnyk, and Vasyl Vintoniv. They were ultimately discovered
and killed in 1951.
How the monument to honour the five nationalists came to
be situated in the Jewish cemetery is the subject of differing
views: one holds that it was located there after it was learned
that Orysya Motychko and her colleagues were buried there;
another holds that erecting the monument was a condition for
constructing the nearby holocaust memorial.
Pawlyk, J. History of Tovste. Chortkiv, 2000.
and pers. comm.